Wednesday, March 25, 2009

You Can't Look Fat in an X-ray

Ever since my surgery in June I have had an enormous amount of doctor's visits, new doctors, and procedures. Frequent visits to my orthopedic surgeon for my knee, an Endocrinologist, Gynecologist, Physical Therapist, Optometrist, and Acupuncturist; had way too many x-rays and MRIs within the past 9 1/2 months, blood draws, a 24-hour urine collection analysis (so much fun...NOT), an ultrasound, cortisone injections, bone density scan, various medications, and a manipulation to break up the scar tissue in my knee and force it to bend.

March 10th I had an appointment with my orthopedist to address my back and hip pain, and check the progress with my knee. Before the appointment radiology took somewhere between 15 and 20 x-rays - I lost count between being mesmerized by the fancy new x-ray machine and being told the position I was in was called the "frog lateral" as my knees were bent and pointed outward like a frog. As I waited in the room for the doctor, I looked at my films on the computer. The only thing I could think of was the episode of Friends where Rachel has to go to the ER for x-rays on her injured rib, and as Rachel and Ross came home from the hospital she says, "alright well you would tell me the truth right?" Ross: "Rachel, you cannot look fat in an x-ray!" I laughed as I tried to decipher anything I could from the pictures of my insides. The funny thing is that you can look fat in an x-ray in my opinion. The news: my knee was the same, unsure of the cause of back pain, and may have the osteonecrosis in my right hip.

For a month, I have been suffering from horrible lower back pain, with no explanation as to its source. Today I saw yet another doctor, a physiatrist specializing in the spine. A general exam revealed the possibility of either a herniated disk, or a problem with my facet joints (joints on each vertebra). The pain I have in the spine also causes the muscles in back to tense up and spasm, elevating the pain level.

Next up is another MRI on Monday, which will last an hour and a half! It will be that long because it is for my hip and back. But lying flat on a bed is painful - forget a metal table with a sheet on it! Yikes. In the meantime I have a muscle relaxer and anti-inflammatory, and go back to see my orthopedist and the phsyiatrist after the MRI.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...