Saturday, September 4, 2010

Look Ma, I Made Scones!


I love scones. But I have never made them! I got blueberries last week that were pretty sour, so I decided to bake with them instead. For my first attempt, they came out great! Recipe adapted from Martha Stewart and Buttercream Barbie to create:

Blueberry-Peach Scones
{yields 8-10 scones}
2 cups all-purpose flour
3 Tablespoons sugar plus more for sprinkling tops
1 T baking powder
3/4 tsp salt
6 T cold butter, cut into pieces
1 cup blueberries
1 cup diced peaches
1 tsp lemon zest
1/3 cup heavy cream, plus more for brushing tops
2 large eggs

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees, with rack in center. Cover baking sheet with baking mat or parchment paper, set aside.

2. Sift or mix together flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Using a pastry cutter or two knives, cut in butter until the largest pieces are the size of peas. Stir in fruit and zest.

3. Use a fork to whisk together cream and eggs. Make a well in center of dry ingredients and pour in the cream mizture. Stir lightly with fork just until dough comes together- do not overmix. Turn out onto a lightly floured surface, knead a few times to mix well.

4. Pat dough into a 6 inch square, about 1 1/4-inches thick. Cut into 4 squares, and cut each square into a triangle. Transfer to baking sheet, brush tops with cream and sprinkle with sugar. Bake until golden brown, 20-22 minutes. Transfer to wire racks to cool.

2 comments:

  1. Love the composition of this yumminess! The plate looks great with the scones and blueberries. Bet they were delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to try this recipe! I am intrigued by the heavy cream. The recipe I usually use calls for buttermilk. I don't know if you have ever purchased buttermilk, but they usually don't come in very small cartons, which means I usually waste a ton. But this sounds like something I can do!! I have some peaches that i need to use... perhaps peach scones are on the horizon for Saturday... <3

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...